The ability to workout at home is a great luxury, and now it may be a necessity. Even at the best of times, going to a commercial gym can be aggravating; you have to fight the traffic to get there, find parking, find a locker, and then navigate through all the other members.
This can mean having to wait for equipment and fighting the crowds. It also exposes you to more germs and potential illnesses because of the close proximity with the other members. Trying to stay healthy can be a challenge when just one person is able to spread sickness throughout a club.
This makes the appeal of working out from home even more appealing. But where do you start? You might not have that much room and space to have dozens of dumbbells, bars, and pieces of equipment. This is where a multi-gym can come to the rescue. A good home multi gym will offer a variety of exercises but in a compact space. They are convenient, affordable, and can transform your home into your dream workout situation.
Here’s a look at the best home multi-gyms:
Marcy is a reliable name in fitness, and this home multi gym is heavy duty and highly rated.
Feature-wise, it contains quite a lot including:
- Light weight – even though it’s made from steel, this whole unit only weighs 150 pounds. This makes it easy to maneuver and position and won’t take up a lot of room
- You can lift up to 150 pounds on this home gym with its single weight stack.
- There are various upper body movements you can perform as it features a dual function arm press. You can perform a chest press but also have the option for chest flys.
- There are multiple options for back exercises with an overhead pulley bar that allows you to perform pull-ups, pull-downs, rows, and pullovers on the same machine
- You can work your legs on this home gym with leg extensions but it also features low pulley attachments for other leg exercises
- This unit is unique for featuring a preacher curl pad for training biceps
The MWM-988 is perfect for small spaces, a spare bedroom, garage or can even fit in the corner of an apartment. This is a true multi gym allowing you to work out all body parts and provides enough resistance to help you gain strength and muscle. Even though it’s light, it has a solid construction and can accommodate people up to 300 pounds.
- Light weight
- Gives you a full-body workout
- Weight stack limit of 150 pounds
- Better for beginners
- Limited exercise choices
Personal Trainer Tips & Advice
This is the perfect home multi gym for those looking for a simple workout, or people new to fitness. It will give you a lot of options to train your whole body, and enough resistance to help you get results.
A more advanced trainer may like this home gym in addition to other equipment such as dumbbells and barbells. You could use the free weights for the serious strength training, and this home gym for accessory work such as leg extensions, flys, and biceps curls.
- Full-body home multi gym to exercise every body part
- Compact for use at home
- Features a flat bench for bench press motion and also hamstring curls
- Cables do not need to be moved around or changed, allowing for smooth motions and fewer interruptions during workouts
- 6 different weight settings that can be changed depending on which exercise/body part you are training
- Exercise options include chest press, lat pull-downs, Chest fly/pec deck, bench press, leg extension, hamstring curls.
The Wido home multi gym is another affordable option but gives you a true workout station in your own home. The addition of the flat bench allows for more exercise options compared to more basic home multi gyms.
It’s compact but decently sized so you could make it the centre point of your home gym. But if this is all you are using, you would be sufficiently covered.
They cater this more to general fitness and does not include a lot of weight but is an ideal choice for those looking for general strength and muscle toning such as beginners or seniors.
- Flat bench
- Great exercise options
- Not a lot of resistance
- Has to be assembled
Personal Trainer Tips & Advice
The Mido is similar to the first entry on this list but serves a bit better as a multi-station gym. As mentioned, this multi gym does not have a lot of weight, so it would not appeal to those looking for heavy strength training.
Since it is very affordable, additional equipment could be purchased to create a true home gym set up.
The addition of the flat bench makes this a worthwhile choice, as most basic units at this price point do not include them.
The addition of some dumbbells could be used with the flat bench to create more resistance and to offer extra exercise options.
- Super strong with all steel construction and aircraft cable for heavy, and long lasting use
- Multi -function arm press giving you a wide variety of upper body movements to work you chest, shoulders, arms among other body parts
- Contains an Olympic free-weight rack to incorporate free weight strength training into your workouts
- Built in pegs for storage of weight plates
- Includes adjustable seat for use in upper and lower body exercises
- High pulley system with lat pull down bar
This home multi gym is the perfect combination of cable and free weight exercises combined into one. It will appeal more to a serious lifter who wants to include heavy strength free weight training into their workout.
The racks can support up to 300 pounds and the bench can support 600 pounds of total weight (person and weight total). What also makes this stand out is the accessories that come with it, including multiple bars, tricep rope, ankle straps, single handles, and foot plates.
- Very strong and sturdy
- Incorporates in olympic bar and free weights
- Wide variety of exercise options
- Takes up more space than smaller units
- Assembly may not be easy
- Requires you to buy free weights and olympic bar
Personal Trainer Tips & Advice
This is the ideal choice for a more serious lifter. This home multi gym is one of the best combinations of cable exercises and incorporating free weights you can get at this price point.
To turn this into a perfect home gym, you would just need to add in some dumbbells along with the olympic bar and weight plates and it would cover you for most any form of training you need.
You can use the free weights for strength and muscle building, while the cable exercises are perfect for isolation and specific muscle shaping work.
The weight stack on the machine is also heavier so you will be able to train to failure and get enough muscle stimulus to lead to hypertrophy and strength gains.
- Fully functional leg press
- Cast iron weight stack with 420 lb weight capacity
- Multiple adjustable seating positions for exercise variation
- Instructional placards illustrating exercises for each muscle group
- Pull up/dip station
- Leg extension and vertical knee raise
- Ergonomic design and heavy duty construction
- Low abdominal crunch station
- Compact design
This is the Rolls Royce of home gyms to the point you could cancel your gym membership and just use this. The most unique aspect is the leg press which you don’t often find on a home multi gym.
The amazing thing with this multi gym is the amount of features and exercise options built into a unit that does not take up a lot of space. It is only 100 inches long, 95 inches wide, and 95 inches tall and can fit into most spaces.
It’s on the higher end price wise but only because it is such a high end piece of equipment. It has so many exercise options that you wo’nt find on most home multi gyms.
- A true home gym experience
- Leg press feature
- Gym quality feel and function
Personal Trainer Tips & Advice
As mentioned, this multi gym is one that can replace your current gym. It doesn’t feature a squat rack or free weight bench press but that could be something you may want to add to your home setup.
For those not worried about heavy strength training, or Olympic lifting, this is the ultimate home workout with many exercise variations to keep your body guessing. Variation is the key to increases in strength and muscle as the body needs a changing stimulus in order to respond.
A good addition could be some simple mats and exercise balls to have a core/ab circuit to go along with this. This area could also function as a stretching station to make this a true home gym experience.
What To Consider When Buying The Best Multi Gym
There are a few things that you need to consider before buying a home multi gym.
This will probably be your first consideration
How much are you willing to spend? If you will no longer be using a commercial gym, you will be saving your membership money which you can put towards your new home gym. If you are involved in basic fitness, you may be able to get by with a basic model which doesn’t have to be too expensive.
If your training is more in-depth, you will need a multi gym with more options. Decide on your budget and then start looking around at what works best for you. You can use this guide as a good starting point.
Your Fitness Needs
What is your current fitness level and goals
If you are looking for general fitness, and plan to workout 2-3 times per week, then you can get by with a basic unit. If you are into heavy strength training, or Olympic lifting, you will want a machine that incorporates that in as a small multi gym with minimal weight may not cut it for you.
Look at the type of training you do right now and make note of the exercises and options that you will need when considering buying the best multi gym for your needs.
How much space do you have available
Since you are working out at home you have to consider the amount of space you have available for a multi gym. If you are limited to a small apartment or bedroom you’ll have to find the best option that takes up the smallest space. If you have large empty rooms, or a garage, you will have some more freedom to get any size you want along with incorporating other equipment or weights.