Smith Machine Leg Exercises are one of the best exercises for bodybuilding. The use of a smith machine makes this exercise easier and safer to perform. These exercises are effective, simple, and time efficient.
The smith machine is a versatile training tool that has been used in physical therapy for decades. If you’re looking to add some new exercises to work the legs, or just starting with weights, here are five effective smith machine exercises that can be done at the gym or your home.
1. Smith Machine Hack Squats
The Smith Machine Hack Squat is a body fat incinerating, muscle-building exercise. If you want to build muscle and burn fat, this is one of the best exercises that you can do. Smith machine hack squats are good, but they’re not perfect. Here’s how to do them correctly and get the most from the exercise.
- Set the Smith machine bar to a height that allows your thighs to be parallel to the ground when you squat.
- Step under the bar and place your hands shoulder-width apart.
- Drive your heels into the ground and squat down until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Pause for a second and then drive up to the starting position.
The smith machine hack squat is a great variation to give your regular squat workout some new challenges. By eliminating the bar from the equation you will force your muscles to work harder to keep you erect, which forces your body to adapt.
2. Smith Machine Split Squats
The Smith machine split squat is an excellent leg exercise. As a stand-alone exercise, the smith machine split squat will help you develop shapely quads and hamstrings. To add to that, it’s a terrific utility exercise to do when you’re between primary exercises and will nail your quadriceps at the end of your workout. In this article, we’ll give you the complete lowdown on how to perform this exercise.
- Position a barbell in a smith machine at shoulder height.
- Step back a few feet from the machine, and place one foot behind you on the bench or box, with your heel hanging off. This will be your rear leg.
- Place your other foot in front of you, with your toes pointed forward. This will be your front leg.
- Keeping your back straight, slowly lower your body toward the floor, bending at your front knee.
- Stop when your rear knee is bent at a 90-degree angle, and your front thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Pause, then slowly press back up to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions, then switch legs and repeat.
The Smith Machine Split Squats are very similar to the standard barbell squats in that they isolate the glutes and lower back muscles while at the same time, working the legs through their full range of motion. This targeted exercise can be done without any prior leg strength to quickly strengthen those areas.
3. Smith Machine Front Squats
Front quats are one of the most well-known strength training exercises. They target your quads, glutes and, hamstrings. Smith machine front squats are a more difficult version of the traditional back squat. Smith machines provide safety and a steady bar path that help you to do front squats correctly.
How to do smith machine front squats:
- Position the barbell at the lowest setting on the smith machine.
- Step underneath the bar and position it across your upper chest, just below your shoulders.
- Reach up and grab the bar with an overhand grip, your hands wider than shoulder width apart.
- Take a step back and stand with your feet hip-width apart.
- Squat down as if you were going to do a normal back squat, keeping your back straight and your eyes focused ahead.
- Go as low as you can before driving back up to the start position.
- Pause at the top of the movement and repeat.
Smith machine front squats are a great exercise for the thighs, and the stronger your thighs are, the stronger your legs will be. This machine will do a great job of building up your legs, and it’s a highly recommended piece of gym equipment.
4. Smith Machine Romanian Deadlifts
The Smith machine Romanian deadlift is an excellent variation of the conventional Romanian deadlift. Although the conventional Romanian deadlift can be difficult to perform safely for some due to mobility and equipment limitations, the Smith machine version is a much simpler lift that almost anyone can perform effectively and with good form.
How to do smith machine Romanian deadlifts:
- Position a barbell at the lower part of a Smith machine.
- Step in close to the machine and grasp the bar with an overhand grip, hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- With your feet firmly planted, lean forward and slowly lower the bar toward the floor.
- Keep your back straight, core engaged, and glutes and hamstrings pulled taut as you lower the bar.
- Pause at the bottom before slowly reversing the motion, driving through your heels to standing.
- Finish by squeezing your glutes at the top of the lift.
Pay close attention to your back position throughout the lift. Avoid rounding your back, which can cause injury. Keep your head and chest up throughout the lift. Use a weight that allows you to keep good form and complete the desired number of repetitions.
5. Smith Machine Leg Press
The Smith machine leg press is a great exercise for training the quads. The Smith machine offers the ability to target and isolate specific muscle groups with the most amount of control, as it allows you to maintain consistent stabilization throughout the exercise. Most people go into a Smith machine with intimidated stances, bringing their legs and knee joints together – this approach will inevitably invite knee pain. If your goal is to build bigger and stronger quads, I recommend keeping your knees apart throughout the movement to expose them to an increased range of motion.
Here is how you do a smith machine leg press:
- Position yourself in the Smith machine with your back against the bench, your feet hip-width apart on the platform, and your shoulders and hips pressed firmly against the bench.
- Point your toes slightly outward, and press the platform away from you, extending your legs until your thighs are parallel to the floor.
- Pause, and then slowly lower the platform back to the starting position.
The Smith Machine leg press is a great way to build strength in the legs. It is also a very effective fat-burning device and it should be part of any workout program that involves resistance training.
Smith machine leg exercises make your legs bigger, stronger, and more muscular. However, be aware of potential pitfalls make sure to understand how to use them properly. If you train for overall muscle growth and strength this equipment can be an important part of your program.