The shoulder muscles are divided into three groups: the rotator cuff, the scapula, and the trapezius muscle. Many people are unaware of the importance of their shoulders and how they function in daily life. Improper positioning or lack of exercise can cause serious damage to these essential muscles. You don’t want those problems, do you? Well, worry no more because this article will help you get healthy and strong in no time at all with these machine shoulder workouts.
1. Seated shoulder press
The seated shoulder press is the most common movement for shoulder rehabilitation. The seated shoulder press has been shown to increase blood flow, alleviate pain and increase muscle strength. Whether you are rehabilitating an injured or sore shoulder, or want to improve your overall fitness, add this workout to your routine.
Here is how you do seated shoulder press:
- Sit on a shoulder press machine with your back and head against the pad.
- Grasp the handles with your palms facing forward.
- Press the handles up until your arms are extended above your head.
- Slowly lower the handles back to the starting position.
This shoulder press exercise is a great way to workout your shoulder, since it isolates just the shoulder muscles and doesn’t require a lot of weight. Try performing three sets of five repetitions, with three minutes of rest in between. As you feel stronger, try adding more repetitions or adding weight.
2. Smith machine seated shoulder press
Smith machine seated shoulder press is a great exercise to use for strengthening your shoulders. It can be used by almost anyone and is simple to modify if you need a challenge or to introduce variety into your workouts. This exercise can be performed as an isolation exercise for the shoulder muscles or can be used to strengthen the entire upper back area.
To do this exercise:
- Sit on a bench with a Smith machine in front of you.
- Position the bar of the machine at a height that is level with your shoulders.
- Grasp the bar with an overhand grip, and then press it overhead.
- Lower the bar back to the starting position, and then repeat.
The Smith machine seated shoulder press is an excellent exercise for strengthening the deltoid muscle. It works well as an isolation exercise or can be used to strengthen almost any other upper body movement. It’s simple to use and adjust to fit your needs so you could practically use it every day and not get bored.
3. Smith machine upright row
Smith machine upright row for shoulder muscles is a great exercise to work the whole shoulder muscle. The Smith machine helps you to strengthen and develop your shoulder muscles as it puts your rotator cuff muscles through a challenging exercise. If you want to tone up shoulders and still be able to maintain great posture then the upright row exercise should be in your routine.
Here is how you do this exercise:
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and your knees slightly bent.
- Grasp the Smith machine bar with an overhand grip and palms facing your thighs.
- Keeping your back straight and your core engaged, row the bar up to your chest.
- Pause for a count of two at the top of the movement and then lower the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
If you have never used the Smith machine before, then you will find this exercise a bit awkward at first. The purpose of the Smith machine is to eliminate body swing while you are moving your arms. With a total body exercise, you need to concentrate on your posture from shoulder to foot, so there is no slouching. Once you perfect the motion, it becomes easier for you to brace your core and maintain correct posture throughout the exercise.
4. Rear delt fly machine
The rear delt fly machine is a great way to build bigger, fuller shoulders. With this exercise, you can focus on your rear delts (located in the middle of the back) to isolate them while getting a great workout for your chest, shoulders, and triceps.
Here is how you do this exercise:
- Sit down in the machine and adjust the seat so that your back is against the pad.
- Place your hands on the handles in front of you and make sure that your elbows are bent at 90 degrees.
- From here, press the handles together as you would in a chest fly and then slowly bring them back to the starting position.
- Repeat for 12-15 reps.
This exercise is great for targeting your rear delts and building bigger, fuller shoulders. The machine will give you stability while working these muscles and it’s a great tool to have in your weight room. The biggest benefit is that it’s something that almost every commercial gym has. As long as you don’t mind doing variations of a certain exercise, the rear delt fly is only one small step away from being a great addition to your workouts.
5. Smith machine shrug
The Smith machine shrug is one of the most effective ways to build bigger shoulders. The Smith machine shrug is a great way to hit your deltoids, rhomboids, and traps in high-repetition sets. It provides you with a full-body, functional workout that will build muscle, improve flexibility and increase your core strength.
This how you do smith machine shrug:
- Start by setting the Smith machine bar at about hip height.
- Step underneath the bar and position yourself so that the bar is resting on your traps.
- Grasp the bar with an overhand grip, and arch your back slightly.
- Keeping your core tight, exhale and shrug your shoulders up to your ears.
- Hold the contraction for a count of one, and then slowly lower the bar back to the starting position.
The Smith machine shrug is a great exercise that you should add to your workout routine. You must keep your muscles warm, so make sure to stretch before and after the workout. Always start with light weights and work your way up to a heavier weight. Try three sets of ten repetitions for an effective workout.
By following these exercises and doing them consistently, you not only build greater strength but you will also learn a lot about your shoulders. This knowledge can be put to good use when performing everyday tasks. So take some time out of your day to do these simple shoulder exercises and strengthen those important muscles.