The bicep and shoulders workout is a great way to get started on your fitness journey. Building up your arms means you’ll be able to do many other things with your body, like pushups or pull-ups or even just lifting heavy objects without creating too much strain on your back and arms.
The bicep is made up mostly of the long head and inner part of the short head of your triceps. The shoulders include three main joints: ball, humerus, and scapula (shoulder blade). It’s important to know how your muscles work with each other so you can progress from one exercise to another without injury.
Here are five bicep and shoulder workouts you should add to your workout routine:
1. Dumbbell overhead press
The benefits of the dumbbell overhead press are substantial. This is a compound movement, involving multiple joints and muscles. The shoulder and arms hold up the load while the trunk, legs, and glutes work to stabilize the body during the lift. Many fitness enthusiasts enjoy upper body strength training because it can help to reduce the chances of injury as well as boost performance in a variety of athletic positions.
Here is how you do the dumbbell overhead press:
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder level with your palms facing forward.
- Bend your knees slightly and keep your back straight as you press the dumbbells overhead, extending your arms until they are straight.
- Lower the dumbbells back to shoulder level and repeat.
The shoulder is one of the most complicated joints in your body. It consists of the humerus, several joints between bones and muscles, and ligaments holding it all together. The shoulder joint is vulnerable to injury simply because of its structure. But by performing a dumbbell overhead press, you can strengthen the muscles surrounding the shoulders while lessening your chances of injury and making this joint stronger.
2. Standing bicep hammer curl into shoulder press complex
This funky move targets all the muscles in your arms and will tone them up. It’s also a great way to strengthen your shoulders, while also making sure that you are burn fat. This workout is a combination of two exercises the bicep hummer curl and shoulder press complex.
Here is how you do this exercise:
- Start by holding a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing your thighs.
- Curl the dumbbells up to your shoulders, keeping your elbows close to your sides.
- Press the dumbbells overhead, and then lower them back down to your shoulders.
- Finally, lower the dumbbells back down to your starting position.
This standing bicep hammer curl into shoulder press complex workout will keep working you harder, longer and faster for a great workout. This is a great way to see maximum gains in strength. The two exercises are combined but give your body all the movements it requires as a full upper body workout.
3. Alternating dumbbell bicep curl
The alternating dumbbell bicep curl is a great exercise for getting your shoulders moving, even if you happen to be doing it at home. It’s also a great way to start off your bicep workout, as it works out more of your arm and shoulder muscles than any other exercise could.
To do this exercise:
- Start by standing up straight, with your feet shoulder-width apart and a dumbbell in each hand.
- From here, curl one dumbbell up to your shoulder while keeping your elbow and upper arm stationary.
- At the top of the curl, pause for a moment and then slowly lower the dumbbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat the process with your other arm and continue alternating until you have completed the desired number of repetitions.
Try alternating dumbbell bicep curls out the next time you’re at the gym and feel like getting a good arm workout. It’s a great exercise that doesn’t require any special equipment and offers plenty of benefits for your fitness goals. You’re sure to enjoy it, so give it a try.
4. Seated dumbbell concentration curl
Seated dumbbell concentration curl is an isolation exercise, meaning that it focuses on the specific muscle group involved. It’s one of the best isolation exercises to finish your workout and get max benefit from every rep while preserving your joints and tendons. If you have been struggling to build up your biceps muscles and make them grow, then this seated dumbbell concentration curl exercise is for you.
To do seated dumbbell concentration curl:
- Sit on a bench with your back straight and feet flat on the floor.
- Place a dumbbell in between your legs and hold it with your palms facing up.
- Curl the dumbbell up towards your shoulder while keeping your upper arm stationary.
- Squeeze your biceps at the top of the curl and slowly lower the dumbbell back to the starting position.
The seated dumbbell concentration curl is an isolation exercise designed to help you build up bicep muscles in your arms. It will also allow you to add mass and gain more size to your whole arm, including your biceps, forearms, and the overall upper arm muscle; the exercise will improve muscle endurance and maximize the benefits of a workout by helping you maintain better form and posture.
5. Seated dumbbell shoulder press
Seated dumbbell shoulder press is an exercise that combines the action of a shoulder external rotation and biceps curl, thus giving you a wider range of motion and more muscle involvement than just one exercise. It will strengthen your shoulders, and also build up the muscles in your back, which is good to have if you’re planning on creating rock solid traps that can help you lift weight.
To do this exercise:
- Sit on a bench with a weight in each hand, palms facing your shoulders.
- Brace your core and press the weights straight overhead, keeping your elbows in line with your ears.
- Lower the weights back to the starting position and repeat.
The seated dumbbell shoulder press is a highly underrated exercise which can be applied practically in many bodybuilding routines. This exercise is also quite easy to perform, so it’s accessible even to inexperienced gym goers. If you add this shoulder exercise to your routine, you will see considerable gains in size and strength of your shoulder muscles!
With these exercises, you can build your biceps and shoulders quickly. They might seem like simple exercises, but they work very well in building strength. You build up endurance over time, and you’ll be able to use these exercises to train other muscle groups of your body.
Workout routines are personalized to help each individual grow in their own way. Remember to always keep an open mind and look for new exercises to spice up your regimen.